Preparing your Home for a Home Inspection
- Remove grade or mulch from contact with siding. Preferably 6 or more inches of clearance.
- Clean out dirty gutters or debris from the roof.
- Divert all water away from house, i.e. downspouts, sump pump, condensation drain, etc. Grade should slope away from structure. Clean out basement entry drains.
Trim trees, roots and bushes back from foundation, roof, siding, and chimney.
- Paint all weathered exterior wood, and caulk around trim, chimneys, windows and doors.
- Seal asphalt driveways if cracking.
- Seal or point up masonry chimney caps. Install metal flue cap.
- Clean or replace HVAC filter. Clean dirty air returns and plenum.
- Point up any failing mortar joints in brick or block.
- Test all smoke detectors.
- Update attic ventilation if none is present.
- Clean chimney, fireplace, or woodstove (provide a copy for buyer).
- Seal masonry walls in basement.
- Don’t do quick cheap repairs, i.e. (giant caulk repairs) this will clue in an Inspector that amateur work has been done and will tend to make him/her look closer at the house.
- Get all windows and doors in proper operating condition, including any cracked windows.
- Put all plumbing fixtures, toilet, tub, shower, sinks, in proper working condition. Look for any leaks.
- Install GFCI receptacles near all water sources, test all present GFCI receptacles for proper operation.
- Check sump pump for proper operation.
- Replace any burned out light bulbs.
- Remove rotting wood, firewood from contact with house.
- Proper grading recommended under deck.
- Check that crawlspace is dry and install a proper vapor barrier.
- Caulk all exterior wall penetrations.
- Caulk all tub/shower fixtures.
- Caulk along tub/floor, tub/walls, tub/shower/glass doors.
- Remove any visible moisture from crawlspace. Moisture levels in wood should be below 18%, to deter rot and mildew.
- Check that bath vents are properly vented.
- Remove paints, solvents, gas, etc. from crawlspace, basement, attic, porch, etc.
- Check that toilets are secure to floor.
- Where windows are at or below grade install window wells and covers.
- Remove grade from contact with foundation vents.
- Have clear access to all attic, crawlspace, heat systems, garage and other areas that will need to be inspected.
- If House is vacant be sure all utilities are turned on:
Breakers in Main Panel